Which Mouse Trap Baits Really Work to Get Rid of Mice? The Do’s and Don’ts
Mice can be very notorious and can cause a lot of trouble inside your house. With mice in your house, it becomes a priority to find out ways to trap them and get rid of them at the earliest.
But before you go out looking for mouse traps, you should know which mouse trap baits work to get rid of mice effectively. Mice are really smart and intelligent creatures. You should not be fooled by their size and look because they are quick at detecting danger and avoiding it. They are also known to warn other mice about danger so that they can be safe.
“If mice get caught in a trap and somehow survive it, they memorize it and avoid repeating the actions that got them into trouble.”
Organic Pest Control
Some of the most effective mouse trap baits
- Hot dog
- Sugar cubes
- Peanut butter
- Bacon, sausage and other breakfast meats
- Almond butter
- Sunflower seeds
- Soft Cheeses
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Bird Seed
- Jelly Beans
- Maple Syrup
- Dog food
- Molasses or brown sugar
- Cat food
- Breakfast cereal
- Crumbs of cookies
To successfully trap mice you have to be smarter than them. There are a few Do’s and Don’ts to mousetrap baits which you should keep in mind.
- Wear gloves- Even if you don’t realize it, your body produces many oils, odors, and chemicals that can linger on the trap. The mouse can easily recognize the smell and steer clear of it.
- Use a small bait- When you put an item as mouse trap bait, try to put a pea-size amount so the trap can be activated at the right time.
- Set the trap at night- Mice are usually nocturnal, so if you set the trap at night then there are more chances of them getting caught.
- Find the right place- Where you place the trap is the most crucial role in trapping mice because if you don’t put it where the mice actively go then, it is pointless. You have to find clues like droppings so you can set the trap in the right place.
- Use the walls- You should not put traps in the middle or too far from a wall because mice have bad eyesight, so they rely on their other senses to move from one place to another.
- Use multiple traps- As we have said, mice are intelligent and are capable of avoiding their mistakes and warning their friends, so you have to use multiple mouse trap baits in various locations so you can catch most of them.
- Ruin the bait- Just like you should wear gloves to keep your scent off the trap, you should also use a spoon or stick to put the bait so that it does not have your scent on it.
- Use the wrong bait- While choosing baits, you should not be influenced by the stereotype that mice eat cheese because that does not work anymore.
- Use big bait- While putting the item on the mouse trap be aware of the amount. Don’t put too much as they can easily snatch some, and run away without getting caught in the bait.
- Put the trap in wrong places- If you put traps in the wrong places the mice will get away. You should also focus on the position of the trap making sure that it is placed closer to the wall.
- Use a few mousetraps- You should not use just one mousetrap as then only a few will get caught, and the other mice will be warned and not get caught.
- Go easy- Don’t try to make the process slow and easy. By thinking that you can repeat the procedure many times because they are smarter than you know. You should try to get all of them at once. Choose a night and set multiple traps to get rid of them for good in one shot.
Mouse Trap Baits: What If the Traps Are Not Working?
- Try a different bait- If you are using the same bait, then you try some other food item as bait and see if it helps.
- Change the mouse trap- There are various types of mouse traps, depending on your preferences, so if you are using one kind of mouse trap then try another type to see the result.
- Choose a new location- If they are not working, they may be in the wrong place. If you put them in the exact spot where you found crumbs, try to move it a bit, but not too much.
- Change the method- If you are putting dry bait, and you find that the mice take the bait, but the trap stays intact, then you should try putting some sticky food along. Try some peanut or almond butter inside the trap and then put a nut on it. This way the mice will take some time in getting the bait, and the trap can be activated.
“We understand it is essential for you to get rid of the mice from your home, but you should never resort to inhumane tactics.”
Organic Pest Control
An example of such an inhumane tactic is a glue trap. A glue trap is a piece of paper covered in glue so that the mice can get stuck on it. It is inhumane because of the following reasons:
- The mice get stuck in their nose and suffocate to death.
- They starve to death as they are unable to leave the sheet, even after you throw them out.
- They die while attempting to break free from the sheet.